Friday 23 August 2019

New series: Freeby Fridays

I have been thinking about introducing regular features to this blog for a while now; I just haven’t got round to it yet. This is the first of three new ideas I am trying out.
Called Freeby Fridays each post, which will occur approximately once a month, will include something free, or at the very least a link to something free.  As this is my writing blog, it will often be something that I have written, but I also intend to beg, steal, or borrow pieces from other people. Whatever appears it should be fun to post and interesting to read.

So today to start the new series, I am offering another poem. Sorry if the subject is gloomy, but poetry is as much about challenge as anything.




 The Judgement

There are days when I just sit and think
What will I be doing next?
When I wonder if the story of my life
has any kind of text.

Days when everything is grey
not black or white or shining
and when the clouds are in my heart
without a silver lining

Those days occur more often now
I’ve nothing left to offer
not health, nor work, nor coin to give
just burdens for another

I fill the forms and sign my name.
Try hard to fit the bill.
I’ve done my best to play the game.
But I’m old and tired and ill.

The days are long, cold, and dark.
and sometimes time is slower.
And loneliness a formless Snark,
gives worthlessness its power

I think  I’ll finish while I can.
Leaving others to defend
The fearful, abiding, living sham
with a universally credited end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What am I doing Wednesday. Editing and Carnival

Editing. That one-word answer to ‘What I am I doing’? is all you need to know. Except to say that I find talking about editing about as e...