Monday 23 September 2019

Mystery Mondays

The third of my regular monthly series is mystery Mondays. This will be a book review of a mystery that I have just read.

I have thought long and hard about how to do this do I choose my top ten books? Do I write about the last book I read? Do I look for and read a mystery simply to feature it here. All of those things are good ideas and in time I might tackle each method of choosing.

I thought that I was going to go for my mystery top ten starting with book number 10. Of course, after I wrote that line I realised that the top ten would be a misnomer, there are just too many mystery books that I love to narrow it down so tightly.
 So now it ill be simply ten mysteries that I have loved. I can then come back later and offer you ten more, there are so many that I am sure I won’t run out.

So in no particular order.

The 39 steps by John Buchan

The 39 Steps : Original by  John Buchan: (Annotated) by [Buchan,  John ]
Set in Galloway, in southern Scotland, this book is a real old fashioned adventure story. Interesting characters, beautiful landscapes and a satisfying puzzle all make this a good read. I have read this several times and still love it.
I suppose that it is a bit of a boy's own adventure but John Buchan is the best type of storyteller. Definitely worth a read if you haven't read it before.

This is the book description from Amazon:
' Set during the First World War, it is the story of Richard Hannay, an ordinary gentleman who finds himself mixed up in a plot to undermine the British war effort. A fugitive from the law, Hannay must race against time to try and stop the plot. "The Thirty-Nine Steps" is an exciting adventure of mystery and espionage that will thrill and delight readers both young and old.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

What am I doing Wednesday. Editing and Carnival

Editing. That one-word answer to ‘What I am I doing’? is all you need to know. Except to say that I find talking about editing about as e...